NWEI’s self-led discussion courses are designed to spark shared learning, shared stories, and shared action. Each course book also includes tips and guidelines to help facilitators organize a course.
Participants read each week’s material (which may include brief articles, book excerpts and/or links to online content) on their own. During each session, group members take turns facilitating by leading others through discussion questions provided in the course book.
A detailed list of articles and resources included in the A Different Way course book is available in the Table of Contents.
“The Work of the Northwest Earth Institute is essential – now more than ever. The planet is clearly in a state of crisis – and we’re going to have to do things differently if we want different results. This will require both individual and collective change. Personally, I admire the NWEI’s model for change – the critical role of personal awareness and responsibility at the personal, bioregional, and planetary level, and from that place of care, taking action.” – Susan Gleason, Media and Outreach Manager, YES Magazine
Sample Discussion Questions:
- What is your “why,” your reason for pursuing a simple or intentional life?
- In what ways can simplicity become an act of privilege? How can simplicity be practiced to the benefit of people with less opportunity?
- How do you feel when you create something instead of purchasing it?
- What are the systemic barriers that lead to the promotion of recycling rather than reducing and reusing?
- How can you take your commitment to simple living beyond yourself? How can you work toward systemic change?
Participants in this Course Will:
- Explore the many personal and global issues we face that a simple lifestyle can help to address.
- Determine which of your values leads you to an interest in simple living, and how simple living will help you live more in line with your values.
- Consider what you might like to do individually and as a group to create bigger impact in our world.
To preview a short discussion activity drawing from this course, please fill out this request form.
To download the A Different Way Media Kit, click here.